Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Slumlords

Slumlords can be the most frustrating thing to deal with and as tenants there is really nothing you can do about it.  You can move out and forfeit your deposit and risk the chance of negative repercussions on your credit and possibly have a hard time with your future rentals or you can stick it out. What do you do...you break the cycle!

A couple of years ago my husband and I got hit hard with the rest of the economy and our credit took a beating. The tenant that was in one of our rental properties suddenly moved out and we could not get tenants back in the house causing it foreclose, we both lost our jobs, we had late payments, and life just was not fun. We carried on and did our best; we paid what we could when we could and not everything was not time. It took some time to get back on our feet and that meant renting for a while. NOT what we wanted.  When you are used to living under your own roof and taking care of things the right way having a slumlord is just not the way to go.

We moved into the last rental property we will ever live in March of this year.  I will say it has made me rethink how I think as a landlord, we still own one rental property. We always thought of ourselves as good landlords, now we think of ourselves as a great landlords...my tenant calls, I answer - something is wrong, someone is there right away. I will not be a slumlord.

When we first moved in we thought "This is a nice home, great layout, pool, hot tub, beautiful deck, great neighborhood."  It didn't take long to see otherwise.  A couple of days after living here and the pool pump went out - 4 weeks later finally fixed, during which the pool/hot tub heater went out - still not fix and never will be. We have a hot cold tub but since the heater is "not a necessity" they won't fix it, this also goes for the sprinkler system and the auto timer on the pool.

It has been one thing after another and even the things they will fix it takes weeks to get fixed.  I am sure that not all rentals are like this - I know mine is not - by why risk it!  Interest rates are crazy low. We did not have an option because we had to get our credit straight, believe me when I say I WILL NEVER RENT AGAIN! This slumlord has taught me a lesson; I have paid more each month than if I would have bought this house plus I had to live with broken items, most of which could have easily been fixed. 

Soo, to the slumlords out there - if you don't have the funds or the want to take care of your properties I would be happy to help you sell them, this is the time to do so.

To the renters out there - do you really want to put up with the slumlords when you can invest in your own home and pay less and not have wait weeks to get your leaking sink fixed.  Pay less money each month and invest in yourself! I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment